9.13.2012

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

This yard is finally getting whipped into shape, thanks to my master gardener Mom, the end-of-season plant sale at Home Depot, and alot of sweat and hard work!  I didn't take very many before pictures, and the morning lighting doesn't do the real deal justice, but I am so pleased with how it's turning out!

Deer have been a huge threat, as they eat anything and most everything, so we've had to find some plants that the deer don't like.  Apparently they like serviceberry bushes because all the leaves were gone on the branchy bush in the foreground of the picture when I went out to snap it this morning.

It's taken alot of trial and error too, and some of the plants I've had to move three times because of the deer and poor lighting situations.

My Mom came over on Tuesday, we planted and planted and worked, and then she left yesterday.  It was a fast and furious yard overhaul.

This area of the yard got some rounded edges, black mulch, and some new prickly Blue stars that the deer shouldn't eat.

Three little boxwoods, so cute.

This area got a major overhaul too.  The grass used to go right up to the house, but wasn't growing very well in the shade.  On my Mom's recommendation, we made most of the area a planting bed with stepping stones.
 
 One of my favorite details of the yard re-do is this wooden timber we put between the planting area and the walkway.  It just feels and looks stable and solid to me and will keep the gravel and mulch separate when we add the gravel soon.

1 comment:

Deb said...

Nice work, dynamic duo. (If I say so myself)