6.07.2012

First Day on "the Job"

 
 
 
Today, the first day of Summer break, didn't go so well.  Finn, irritable and antsy, spent at least an hour this morning following me around, begging me to let him invite a friend over (the same one he had over last night), and then pestered his siblings most of the day.

There was lots of fighting and "he did, she did" and people getting hurt (the last one I'm used to).  Finally, I abandoned my mantra that "it's not my job to entertain them," and offered the idea that they could sell baked goods to the neighbors (what child doesn't love to sell something?!)  So they jumped on that idea and I spent the morning making homemade Ghiradelli brownies (this is a great recipe!) and chocolate chip cookies, while they kept occupied making price labels on bags.  Finn even had me make a list of the ingredients to show his customers in case someone had allergies.

This didn't help my resolve to eat better, as I simply had to sample all the things I was making, but at least it gave them something to do.  And, they came home with several dollar bills each, which they liked.

So, back to the mostly-crummy day.  I guess it's not necessarily the actual happenings in the day, but the nagging reminder in the back of my mind through all of this that this is what it's going to be like for the next three months!  Me to myself: "I have to do this over and over again until September 4th!"  Not a good feeling.  And maybe not a good attitude either.  I wish I was the kind of mom that relished summers with her children and spent every waking moment blissfully working on productive things with her children (I'm thinking sewing, reading, cleaning, writing).  It's not that I hate Summers, it's just this adjustment phase of getting used to the "Summer routine" is not fun.  I'm sure I'll get my bearings and in a few weeks time I'll be okay.  But, for now, I'm throwing a pity party for myself.  That, and planning what we'll do tomorrow to get through......

No comments: